0800 011 2400
Some conservatory owners will have noticed the cold in their home extension more than others in recent weeks as we move closer to winter.
If you are one of these people we regret to inform you that it is highly likely that the existing roofing covering is obviously failing to provide sufficient thermal efficiency – poorly insulated roof systems are typically responsible for cold conservatory interiors.
We do have some good news for you though! You don’t need to demolish the conservatory and build a new one as you can have the existing roof replaced with a solid roof. However, there is a possibility that planning permission will need to be obtained before you go ahead with a solid roof installation.
Here are the key points in relation to solid roofs and planning permission:
• Building Regulatory Approval needs to be obtained if you’re replacing a translucent conservatory for a solid roof.
• Fitting a solid insulated roof in place of a glass roof causes a “change of use” from a temporary to permanent structure and may need prior planning permission.
• When a “change of use” occurs, your local Building Control Officer may instruct you to make adjustments to the conservatory, including for ventilation purposes (roof vents, trickle vents).
• A conservatory with a translucent roof that has planning approval requires both a planning application and full Building Regulations Application.
• Your conservatory may no longer be a “permitted development”. In which case, planning permission will need to be obtained.
Local Authorities Building Control advises the following in relation to solid roof installations: “your local authority building control team is likely to ensure that the roof and supporting structure fully complies with the Building Regulations.”
Get Clearview on the case when it comes to solid roofs!
Should planning permission be needed before you can proceed with a solid roof installation, Clearview will take care of everything for you.
We’re completely up-to-date with current planning permission obligations and building regulations, so put it in our trusty hands.
Get a FREE quote for a solid roof now to start the ball rolling.
You must be logged in to post a comment.